Give your statuary, birdbaths or fountains a facelift
Stone garden ornaments like statues, birdbaths or fountains can last a lifetime but sometimes they need a little repair and refreshing with some stain or paint, most of these DIY projects are easy to do!
Have a little chip on your garden Gnome or fountain all you need to repair it is some auto bondo, medium grade sandpaper, and stain or exterior latex paint of your choice.
- First you want to wash the piece really well and let dry. If you have some moss growing on it you want to try and remove it with a little bit of bleach and water. Make sure to remove all flaking paint.
- Fill in the chipped / cracked area with auto bondo as best of your abilities, channel your own Donatello, and remember it doesn’t have to be perfect. Let Dry.
- Once the repair is dry use medium grade sandpaper to smooth the repaired area.
- Wash off any dust or residue and let dry.
- Once dry you are ready to apply your stain or paint. If only touching up and finishing up your repair you can use a Q-tip to apply your color to the repaired area. If staining or painting the entire piece you can use a paintbrush. You can find your concrete stain or paint at your local hardware store or you can visit http://www.concretenetwork.com/stained-concrete.
Voila it’s that easy! Now repairing a broken arm on a statue is not as easy but chips, peeling paint even a piece that has broken off clearly can be repaired with epoxy to glue it back on all these repairs you can do yourself.
If you need some extra help just give us a call we would be happy to walk you through the repairs at 408-846-4555.